[pmwiki-users] PmWiki not working on ISP's new CGI platform

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Sep 26 14:12:41 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 05:28:46PM +0100, Val Sharp wrote:
> After transferring to the new CCGI platform,the first page,
> <http://ccgi.davemaclaren.plus.com/valsharp/pmwiki.php> works fine,
> but all links to further pages, such as
> <http://ccgi.davemaclaren.plus.com/valsharp/pmwiki.php/WebDev/Index>,
> are giving rise to 404 errors: "The requested URL
> /cgi-bin2/cgiwrap/valsharp/pmwiki.php/WebDev/Index was not found on
> this server."

It's almost certain that your webserver isn't supporting PATH_INFO style
requests.  In particular, the pages work with query string requests -- i.e.,
http://ccgi.davemaclaren.plus.com/valsharp/pmwiki.php?pagename=WebDev.Index
appears to work.

If the ISP is running Apache 2, see if you (or they) can set
"AcceptPathInfo On" .  If they aren't running Apache 2, then
it's something else that is causing PATH_INFO to be ignored.

In the meantime, you should be able to work around the problem
by setting $EnablePathInfo=0; in your local/config.php .

And if you set $EnableDiag = 1, I may be able to provide more
clues as to how to get it to work with PATH_INFO style urls.

> For some reason it looks like it's seeing /blah.php/path/to/file and
> passing that as the script name to the PHP program.

Actually, it's seeing /blah.php/path/to/file and complaining
because path/to/file doesn't exist.  (Returning an error here is
non-conformant with the CGI 1.1 specification.)