[pmwiki-users] Large wiki's

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 23 10:47:56 CDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:43:37AM +0200, bram wrote:
> Just a note on the performance of large wiki's:
>

> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/FlatFileAdvantages
>
> I created a 8500 file wiki for fun and testing. Basic pagehandling is fine
> no performance issues. Search is acceptable. However creating the
> .linkindex file from scratch is a problem. The host I run the site on (and
> my test-machine) has a time out of 30 seconds. I disabled the linkindex,
> however no backlinks ( pagelist link={$FullName}) are to slow.

Well, to get the initial .linkindex file created one can
(temporarily) extend the PHP timeout to something larger, e.g., with
the following in local/config.php:

    set_time_limit(60);

Once the initial .linkindex file is generated, it no longer takes
a long time to maintain or use.

However, I think I'm going to address this problem by setting a time
limit on .linkindex, say, 10-15 seconds (controlled by a config
variable, of course).  So, after working 10-15 seconds on updating
.linkindex with new information, the system stops with what it has
done so far and continues on to normal page generation.

So, on systems that are starting with a large initial set of pages,
generation of the .linkindex file is spread over several page
accesses.  Then once .linkindex is generated everything goes speedily
after that.

How's that sound?