[pmwiki-users] Trackbacks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Sep 20 20:22:37 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 11:01:15PM +0200, Sebastian Siedentopf wrote:
>    Am 20.09.2005 um 22:13 schrieb Patrick R. Michaud:
>      Could someone give me a quick explanation of what a trackback is
>      and how it works?
>    Suppose someone has a blog with an article A. I read it and write about
>    this blog entry A in my blog. So I want refer to blog A and notify blog A
>    that I'm writing about it. So my blog (entry B) sends a trackback ping
>    back to blog A and says: here is a entry B that is related to your blog
>    entry A. Blog A recognize it and shows a link to my related blog entry B
>    on the original site.

Thanks, this gets me a little farther along.

When we say "send a trackback ping"...  is this something that the
blog software does automatically (when an article is posted,
scan it for links to external sites and automatically ping them),
or is it something that is manually initiated by a person...?

Also, does this mean that each page/article needs to be keeping
track of any trackback pings it has received?  If so, then what's
the standard mechanism for dealing with spammers who might
use trackback pings to create lots of links to other sites...?