[pmwiki-users] Re: About the feature "Endings become part of, the link text."

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Sep 19 11:54:11 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 12:31:54AM +0800, Elias Soong wrote:
> I have test this on the Chinese main page of pmwiki.org. Gladly it is
> what I need. However, I don't know if there are any non-european
> language need "Ending become part of the link text", so this may not be
> a safe bet.

As we identify such languages, it's not at all hard to add them to the
set of "allowed suffix characters".

> Furthermore, there may be some English site want use UTF-8
> encoding to be compatible with more languages.

Yes, which is why I chose the particular solution I did -- for sites
that are using european languages in a utf-8 character set (including
English), they end up with the suffixes being part of the link text
in exactly the right places.

> Now, I suggest another choice. We could allow .XLPage file control this
> option, then wiki administrators could choose for their own need. For
> example, we could turn off "Ending become part of the link text" by
> default for PmWikiZhCn.XLPage file.

I thought of using an XLPage option, but this would go against
exactly the situation described above.  Suppose I have a site where
my primary language is English, but I want to use utf-8 encoding
for pages because some of the pages will contain a mix of english
and asian text.  (Yes, there are such sites.)

An on-or-off option doesn't help here; if the site administrator
uses XLPage to turn off suffixes, then they can't be used for the
English links; if the site administrator uses XLPage to turn suffixes
on, then the asian language portions of the page suffer because
they're treated as suffixes.

So, the better solution seems to be that only european characters
are considered for suffixes (we can increase/modify this as the need
is identified).  This also has the advantage of not requiring an
additional and potentially confusing "suffix" option in the XLPage
file that will require documentation and explanation for people
creating those files.

Lastly, for any site that really needs something odd in turning
suffixes on or off, the administrator can set the value of
$SuffixPattern explicitly.  :-)

Pm