[pmwiki-users] $since-Parameter in PageStore

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Sep 17 16:23:12 CDT 2005

On Sat, Sep 17, 2005 at 10:32:33PM +0200, Nils Knappmeier wrote:
> Looking at pmwiki.php I discovered that there is a $since-Parameter in
> RetrieveAuthPage, ReadPage and the read-Method of the PageStore-class.
>
> I thought this parameter would allow you to retrieve the content of a
> page as it was at a certain timestamp, but in my tests I couldn't verify
> this theory. So that's my question: What is the $since-Parameter good
> for? Can I use it to solve my problem?

Short answer: no.  The $since parameter allows the caller to specify
how much of the page history should be returned in the page; it doesn't
return the value of the page as of a given date.  It's primarily exists
as an optimization; i.e., if we only need the current value of a page,
there's no point in reading the entire page's history (and the read
routine can avoid reading data that won't be needed).

Longer answer -- we've talked about developing a recipe to do mass
restores, but I think this should also be tied into the generic
"process a group of pages" system that has been discussed.  I'll
prototype that component this weekend, and then people can begin
adding the operations (e.g., mass restore) that one might want
to perform on a large sets of selected pages.