[pmwiki-users] Converting WikiStyle shortcuts to CSS classes

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Sep 12 07:41:32 CDT 2005

Russell Bailey wrote:

> I think the most sensible way to get around this is to transform
> WikiStyles into the thing they act like-  CSS classes.  I'm figuring
> that,  at the end of markup generation,  I'd transform the contents of
> $WikiStyles to classes and store them in $HTMLStylesFmt['wikistyles'].
>
> I have a few questions:
>
> * Is there a reason not to do this?  Previously,  Pm has said there
> wasn't,  but I want to make sure nobody's run into one.

I'm not sure about the following scenario:

User A has a scripting-disabled browser and saves a page with a wikistyle.

User B has scripting on, edits the page, and the styles get saved as CSS
classes.

User A later revisits the page, and doesn't understand the CSS markup he
now finds in the page.

This kind of scenario applies to all kinds of wikitext munging that you
may do. OTOH you may already be handling this gracefully - I haven't
tried the recipe yet.
In general, if I were to set up a wiki with a WYSIWYG editor, I'd drop
any special wiki syntax and to everything in HTML. It's far simpler to
explain that way - and those who can't or don't want to write HTML can
switch on scripting and use the HTML editor. YMMV.

I can't comment on the other questions.

Regards,
Jo