[pmwiki-users] Cookie conflict

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Mon Sep 12 07:34:27 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> I think I'll just create an $AuthorCookie variable so the site administrator
> can choose the cookie name.  Perhaps also a $CookiePrefix so that
> one can prefix any cookies that PmWiki sets.

Does $AuthorCookie give us anything that $CookiePrefix doesn't?

If not, I'd drop $AuthorCookie and stick with $CookiePrefix.
$CookiePrefix looks as if it could be useful for other applications;
things that are occuring to me right now are:
* If somebody sets up two different wikis on the same domain, the
sessions could be separated by setting different $CookiePrefixes (my
guess is that the wikis currently share sessions).
* I can also conceive that some recipes might want to set cookies (not
sure how much of a factor that would be - there's always $_SESSION[],
which is less of a hassle and better in most if not all respects).

Another reason to drop $AuthorCookie: Having multiple variables that
influence the same thing make troubleshooting more difficult - having to
look up that extra variable takes that extra minute, and it's also easy
to overlook the other variable if the first one already explains (part
of) the problem.

Regards,
Jo