[pmwiki-users] Multiple WikiCalendar

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Fri Sep 9 13:20:21 CDT 2005

Rene Visco wrote:
> John and Hans,
>
> Thanks for your tips.  I have to get used to create
> group.header/footer.  I haven't gotten the grasp of wikigroups, I don't
> know why.
>
> I noticed PmCal containing all the dates are "broken" links whereas
> WikiCalendar provided actual dates (correct months, days, etc).

By "broken", you mean doesn't exist?  In a Wiki it is common for
links to go to pages that do not exist.  In the case of a calendar,
the links point to non existing pages because nobody has put any
information on those pages to be displayed inside the calendar.

I have NO idea what you mean by "WikiCalendar provided actual dates...",
AFAIK, it uses the "broken" link technique as well (??).

> I like the look of PmCal, but I need to create a page for next month?
> WikiCal does it automatically.

The (:pmcal:) markup displays a calendar.  By default, it is today's
calendar (current month).  However, you will notice that by default
there are link arrows to either side of the Month title on that calendar
that will allow you to navigate forward and backward.  It does this
by putting specific parameters on the url line for the month to display.
This does mean that there is a requirement for the page with the
(:pmcal:) markup to be static so it can receive the parameters
being passed.

When PmCal/PmCal (Group is PmCal, Page is PmCal) is displayed,
normally you will see a SideBar to the left and the main area will
be a combination of PmCal/GroupHeader, the actual contents of
PmCal/PmCal and then PmCal/GroupFooter.

My recommendation is to place (:pmcal:) into the PmCal/GroupFooter.
Thus, by default, on every page inside the PmCal Group, a calendar
will be displayed, which will default to today's calendar.

If you look at the markup generated by (:pmcal:) it supplies
links to the left and to the right of the Month title.  Those
links are actually the same page with ?month=10&day=1&year=2005
on the URL line (in this case to display October of 2005, the right
link if the current month is September.. the left link would have
month=8).

So... displaying of the calendar is actually stateless.  Which does
have some interesting drawbacks... especially when editing a page
for a calendar month that is not the current month.. when the
edit is finished the page is redrawn, BUT the URL parameters
are gone... and so you see the current month (today) again.
I can fix that by taking the page name (which will now be
of the form PmCal/20051001, just an example) and use the date
formatted there to display the month calendar appropriate for that date.
I'll see if I can get that fixed for the next version.

> I"m blown away by what Pmwiki can do.

Me too.  Make sure and send Pm some money!