[pmwiki-users] sending email off-list

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Sep 6 14:22:54 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 08:40:20PM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >But I'm adaptable, if there's a clear majority in favor of adding
> >the Reply-To header, I'll see about changing it.
>
> I vote for Reply-To munging.
> I have to click "Reply to all", then delete all the unwanted recipient.
> (Incidentally, Patrick forgot to eliminate Waylan from the Cc list, so I
> have to delete *two* recipients. Awkward, that...)

FWIW, I didn't "forget" :-) -- I normally *want* my reply go back
to the original recipient as well as the list.  Yes, this means
that the person I'm replying to sometimes gets two copies of my reply,
but it also means that one of those copies may arrive quite a bit quicker
than would be the case of waiting for the listserv to send it.  This
improvement in response time is sometimes important when someone is
having trouble getting something to work.

And no, it doesn't bother me when I'm Cc'ed on a message to the list,
especially if it allows me to get a response that much more quickly
to an urgent topic.  Using 'Reply-To' tends to negate those Cc's.

For the original sender, many mail clients (including mutt, which
I use) will helpfully flag the message as being addressed specifically
back to something the sender wrote.  This can be very useful for
deciding and prioritizing the sender's reading of replies over
other messages that were just sent to the list.