[pmwiki-users] Re: Synchronization?

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 21:04:03 CDT 2005

On 10/24/05, Kerim Friedman <oxusnet at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow. Unison looks great! But it is way over my head. I tried running a
> test on two local directories and it worked fine when trying to copy
> (the way Rsync does), but using the merge feature gave a failure
> message. The documentation on setting up merge preferences is
> impossible for me to understand - especially since I couldn't find any
> instructions specific to Mac OS X. Hopefully someone will figure out a
> way to make this easier to use!
>
> Kerim

Yeah, after I sent that, I thought maybe it would be a bit much. It
certainly is designed to do what you need but can be overwhelming at
the same time. Another possability is rsnapshot
(http://www.rsnapshot.org/) which is basicly version control for
backups. in fact, its based on rsync. You may be able to figure that
out. At least that way, if a local change overrides a remote change
you would be able to easily view both versions of the doc and merge.
True, its not quite so automated, but may be easier to get working.
Check out how one guy uses it here:
http://blog.innerewut.de/articles/2005/05/25/remote-filesystem-snapshots-with-rsnapshot