[pmwiki-users] {$UrlPage}

Waylan Limberg waylan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 09:40:25 CDT 2005

On 10/21/05, H. Fox <haganfox at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On 10/20/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

I like the looks of that. Sounds good to me. Although the error codes
may be meaningless to some. Then again, I can't think of anything
better, so I say stick with it.

> > > Much better.  Would a line that doesn't start with a valid status code
> > > be ignored?  More to the point: it would be nice if some descriptive
> > > text could be included in the page.
> >
> > Yes, this is the way I normally do things (e.g., XLPages, ApprovedUrls,
> > RecentChanges, etc.).
>
> Just making sure.  :-)
>
> > > If wikipage has a certain status, what would be displayed?  How about
> > > a Site.Status404 page with some wiki markup so the WikiAdministrator
> > > can customize the 404 error message (for example)?
> >
> > Following PmWikiPhilosophy #3, do we *really* need this level of detail/
> > control?
>
> Not if it's a lot of trouble.

Personaly, once the behavior and wording of error messages is set, its
not likely to change agian, so while it doesn't need to be defined in
wiki markup, I would preffer a way to define my own error pages etc.
If that means using config.php so be it, although using wiki markup
would probably be easier for most. Your call on this one.

> >  And do we need pages for every possible status code (in
> > the core)?
>
> No.  One or two common ones would be plenty.

Yeah, for me 404, 301 would be good. But at the same time it would be
nice if it wasn't too much trouble for an admin to add more, or at
least easily change the behavor for each code.

> > Or do we simply ship PmWiki with Site.Status404 as the new version of
> > Site.PageNotFound (used for any non-existent page), and it's then up
> > to the site admin to create special Site.StatusXYZ pages for any
> > other status codes he/she decides to start using?
>
> That sounds good.
>
> I was thinking of 404 as an error status, so I was forgetting that the
> existing Site.PageNotFound page does in fact get used for 404-status
> pages.
>
> Something to consider for a CMS-type installation:  When the visitor
> (reader) isn't logged in they should see a 404 "error" page.
> Otherwise, as an editor, they should see a "Create PageName here"
> page.  For that, (:if ! auth edit ...:) and (:if auth edit ...:) would
> do the trick.

Excellent suggestion.