[pmwiki-users] {$UrlPage}

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Oct 19 16:35:08 CDT 2005

On 10/18/05, Bronwyn Boltwood <arndis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/15/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > However, it makes perfect sense to me that perhaps one would want a
> > non-existent page to produce a "404 Not Found" for certain applications.
> > I'll see about adding this as an option into the core.
> >

>  I want this too, and need it for a few sites already.  :)  Text should be
> customizable, so that I can direct people to appropriate pages and give them
> a searchbox to use.

This probably goes without saying but I'll throw it in anyway:  Other
status codes should be possible, don't you think?

For example; from the W3C:

 "The 410 (Gone) status code SHOULD be used if the server knows,
 through some internally configurable mechanism, that an old resource
 is permanently unavailable and has no forwarding address."

Reference:
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.4.11

See also status code 301 (Moved Permanently)
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.3.2

etc...

Hagan