[pmwiki-users] Some experiments with whitespace indentation

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun Oct 16 19:58:41 CDT 2005

On Saturday, 15 October 2005 4:20 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

>At http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/WSIndent I'm experimenting
>with using whitespace to indicate that text lines should be
>continuations of a previous list item.

This even works for nested lists:

># list item 1
># list item 2
>##   %alpha% sublist item a
>##   sublist item b
>     Text that is part of sublist item b
>     more text of sublist item b

At the moment,
# list item 1
  sub text 1
  sub text 2

produces

1 list item 1 sub text 1 sub text 2

>Comments?

1. What's the rationale for inserting p class='vspace', but not
   wrapping the subsequent text in <p> tags?

   I wonder if:

# an item
  its continuation

  more continuation

might perhaps produce something like:

2. How will this work for continuation of definition lists?

3. What's the rationale for choosing spaces at the start
   of a line over continuation markup at the end of the
   previous line?

FWIW: the reasons for choosing :: as continuation markup in
MarkupExtensions were:

- an analogous extension of \\ markup

- enable continuation of definition lists as well as
  itemised and enumerated lists

- easy to write

Thus:

* an item::
its continuation

:a term:its definition::
its continuation

4. you may wish to consider adjusting p.vspace within lists:

# an item

  its continuation

# another item

making the space between an item and its continuation less
than the space between its continuation and another item
would enhance readability

5. Just an observation -- matching the exact number of spaces
   seems a bit fragile; for example this is incorrect:

#an item

  its continuation paragraph

# another item

  its continuation

   I wonder if it would be easier to get right if you put the
   same number of spaces as the list markup character, rather
   than the list markup character plus any spaces?

--
JR