[pmwiki-users] Conditional Directive based on time

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Wed Oct 12 11:11:09 CDT 2005

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 10:33:26AM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> Some truncated dates appear ambiguous.  For example, I could interpret:
> (:if date 20051006-2006 :)
> as either 2005.10.06 to 2006.01.01  -or-   2005.10.06 to 2006.12.31

Sure ... but, how often in your everyday life do you say something
regarding the year 2006 and not mean the entire year?  Same goes for
the months.   If you really do mean something more specific, you
usally say it: "January 1, 2006".

Also, I think it's rarish for normal people to think of end points as
"up to, but not including". Or, put another way, "February through
March" is the common vernacular and it does include March :)

> I know somebody can learn the rules, but why not avoid many of the
> rules by always requiring a complete date?

Given that it's only a few extra characters to type "20061231" rather
than just "2006", I'm inclined to agree.  How useful are the shortcuts
compared to the confusion they would cause?

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com