[pmwiki-users] Different skins for non-admins

Hans design at softflow.co.uk
Wed Oct 12 02:36:45 CDT 2005

Wednesday, October 12, 2005, 1:55:31 AM, Greg wrote:
> I'm wondering if there can be different skins for people who aren't
> administrators--in other words not logged in. I envision a webpage
> that looks like many relatively simple webpages with an admin log-in
> button that would take one to the "default" editing skin.

I have been creating some sites which look like normal websites, with
just a small admin login link in the footer. clicking that takes you
to a login page, asking for  a password. After entering the passsword
you are seeing the site with all the normal wiki edit, upload, history
etc etc links.

I use a Gemini or Fixflow skin, and conditional markup (:if auth edit:)
mostly, in the skins action menu bars. I also use the loginlogout
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/LoginLogout script.
Sometimes I use (:if auth admin:) to give more options for an
admin than are visible for a editing user/author. So logging in with
the admin password will reveal more options, like links to set page
attributes and group attributes.

An alternative is to use the viewmodes script.
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ViewModes
Some other skins use this approach.

see also
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ConditionalMarkupSamples