pmwiki-2.0.13: [pmwiki-users] Problem with indirect download of large files

Daniel Scheibler scheibi at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 01:57:07 CST 2005

Hello Patrick,

2005/11/9, Daniel Scheibler <scheibi at gmail.com>:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> 2005/11/9, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com>:
> > On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 01:35:46PM +0100, Daniel Scheibler wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I detect a little problem with indirect downloads.
> > >
> > > I uploaded a large file (>50 MB), maybe xyz.zip,  via ftp into the
> > > upload directory of a wiki page. Then I write Attach:xyz.zip into this
> > > wiki page.
> > >
> > > Clicking the resulting link cause a error message in my webserver log file like:
> > > PHP Fatal error:  Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted
> > > (tried to allocate 10240 bytes) in /path/to/pmwiki/scripts/upload.php
> > > on line 169
> >
> > There are times when PHP really stinks.  Apparently PHP's readfile
> > function is reading the entire attachment file into memory before
> > sending it to the browser.  This is horribly wasteful of memory and
> > system resources (and, as you've discovered, it breaks when the
> > file size exceeds the memory limit).
>
> I think although.
>
> > I'll rewrite PmWiki to read and send the file in smaller chunks,
> > which will resolve this problem.
>
> Reads as a good solution.

After install pmwiki-2.0.13 and testing a 24 MB file to download I receives

[Fri Nov 11 08:45:17 2005] [error] [client >>IP<<] PHP Fatal error:
Allowed memory size of 16777216 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate
10240 bytes) in /path/to/pmwiki/scripts/upload.php on line 171,
referer:

in my webservers error log file.

The new solution to read chunks of 4096 bytes doesn't solve the
problem, because of having the whole file in "echo buffer".
Using a flush() in each while, will send me a 0 byte file.

At the moment I haven't time to look for a solution. In a few weeks
time will be better ;-)

New ideas are welcome.

Greets,

scheiby.