[pmwiki-users] Fix for: SearchExtensions broken in beta33

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 26 21:18:32 CDT 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 01:59:25PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> Now suppose that I want to "Publish-button" the links on the
> current page -- generate a report of all the topics associated
> with the current page. I need to re-format the main page list
> as a form with check boxes, while preserving the side bar format.
>
> It seems a shame to have to create 2 fmtfn functions, when the
> only difference is the format, which is all controlled in
> Fmt variables.
>
> I could pass another parameter through (:linkslist ... :)
> of course, but this seems a poor solution. Any suggestions?

Actually, I've been thinking that passing a parameter through
(:linkslist:) (or pagelist) is probably a good solution.  Consider
Cookbook.GlobalOperations -- I've been thinking that the best way
to do this sort of thing is to have a "fmt=pagelistform" that
formats the list of pages, by whatever selection criteria, into
a simple checkbox list that can be easily processed by whatever
action is being done.  Thus Cookbook.GlobalOperations becomes:

    (:pagelist fmt=pagelistform action=publish:)

which would generate an HTML form with places to select/deselect
pages of interest, and results in a posting to ?action=publish.  Or
something like that.  Then actions on sets of pages can be obtained
from the resulting form.

If we need to modify MakePageList to be able to generate a list
of pages linked from a page or set of pages (the opposite of
backlinks), I'm very open to adding it to the core.