[pmwiki-users] RE: Fixed: Error in cookbook rename function

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu May 26 21:09:15 CDT 2005

On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 01:45:24PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:

> As I understand it:
> In the case of rename and its friends, the problem arose from a
> conceptual change in the purpose of PmWiki's 'FPL' functions. It
> used to be that you gave these a list of pages and got back a
> formatted list. Now, you give them a list selection rule and get
> back a formatted list. The FPL functions build the list for you.

Yes, I really do apologize for this change -- but when I originally
built (:pagelist:) I wasn't entirely clear on the many ways it would
be used, and I had always felt its implementation to be somewhat
"provisional", although I probably didn't make that as clear as
I should've.

> Unfortunately, AFAIK, 'give me a list of all unqualified links
> on this page' is not (yet) a recognised list selection rule.
> So instead of using a suitable FPL function, rename and its
> friends now do their own thing.

Probably better, as the list selection rule is really designed to
return a set of pages, not to identify links within a page.

> In my experience:
> - this kind of thing happens fairly regularly

Well, hopefully less regularly once we get out of beta -- indeed,
this kind of thing is why 2.0 is still in "beta" (and why I identified
finalizing the pagelist code as one of the preconditions for moving
out of beta).

> - it's usually not a big deal to fix

Thankfully.  :-)

> - the changes are usually PmWiki improvements (although I think
>   in this case the improvements could have been made without
>   changing the FPL functions' purpose (?))

Time and experience with (:pagelist:) convinced me that the FPL
functions needed the ability to influence the list selection rule,
so I made the change.  But I really don't envision any more structural
changes like this on the horizon.