[pmwiki-users] Re: Suggestion for wiki calendar

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Thu May 19 06:25:05 CDT 2005

On 19 May 2005, John Rankin wrote:

> :term:definition. To do this, it strips out all html tags. So putting
> out a whole page in a tool tip is problematic. What happens if the page
> contains a table? The trick is to put the most important stuff at the
> start of the page.

True.

> If there are multiple entries for a single day, I think the best we might
> achieve is to generate a mini one level table of contents style tooltip,
> for example:
>
> 1. pay the bills 2. rent Buffy the Vampire Slayer 3. take cat to the vet

I'd be fine with using special markup to specifically write such a list...
it wouldn't have to be generated automatically (although that's preferable
of course).

A simple way to generate such a list could be require that the author
actually puts a list at the start of the page... any such list would then
be put in the tooltip. If there is no list at the beginning of the page,
just take the first line of text as before.

Anyway, this was just a suggestion of something I think is simple to
implement... Some people might even prefer writing e.g.

	* pay the bills
	* rent Buffy DVD
	* go to vet

at the top of a page compared to

	!! Pay the bills
	!! Rent Buffy DVD
	!! Go to vet

I can't really say what I'd prefer... the simple bullet list might be a
tad quicker, but I'm not sure.

> This should be possible. However in a full calendar, it might be slow,
> as it has to process the full text of every entry.

We could try it at first... if it is slow, then I guess a function that
caches the information would need to be invoked when a page is saved.

> >In relation to this, I have a second question. What controls what will
> >appear in the summary list? Is it the first line of each day, or is it the
> >first paragraph? Is there a directive you can use to specify exactly what
> >will appear for that day? (Perhaps using the (:description
> >...:)?)
>
> It shows up to the first line break or up to an invisible stop `. mark.

Ok. Does line extension (i.e. using '\') work?

> Another option would be to display a selected day as a mini-page...
>
> The MarkupExtensions contain (:inote PageName:) markup, which
> displays the contents of PageName as a stick-note in the current page.
>
> So, we could make either the calendar itself, or preferably the list,
> cause clicking an a day to redraw the current page, with the chosen
> page 'inoted'. At the risk of digging a hole for myself, this is
> probably trivial to implement.

Might be useful, but more likely as a complement... actually, as a
complement it'd very cool.

> Big pages (eg a large image) would cause this feature to behave poorly.
> TINFL

Yeah, I can see that...

> Do any of these options appeal?

Certainly.. :-)