[pmwiki-users] (:div:)markup(:divend:)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue May 3 01:15:39 CDT 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:06:56PM +1000, Nathan Jones wrote:
> (Yes, I realise I'm two weeks behind...)
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 08:03:12AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >    >>personA<<
> >    something
> >    >><<
> >is simply going to be translated into
> >    (:div:) %div personA%
> >    something
> >    (:divend:)
>
> What does this mean?
>
> (:div:) %div personA%
>
> That is...
>
> - Is personA a class? A wikistyle (given the ugly % signs)?
> - What happened to the clearer (:div class="personA":)?
>   [or even (:div personA:)]

Nothing, they're still available.  The (:div:) markup will work
like the (:table:) markup, in that one can specify HTML attributes
directly as in (:div class="personA":).

Then, one can also style a div by using the %div ...% wikistyle on
the same line as the (:div:) markup itself.  This is analogous to how
we currently style paragraphs and lists, and it allows authors
to continue to define custom wikistyles and apply them to divs
(since WikiStyles aren't HTML, we can't just include them
in the element attributes.

Finally, >>personA<< will then be a shortcut (:div:) %div personA%,
which applies all of the attributes of the personA wikistyle to
the div element.  Note that if %personA% isn't a defined wikistyle,
this ends up being exactly equal to (:div class='personA':).