[pmwiki-users] Watch page

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun May 1 03:59:18 CDT 2005

chr at home.se wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>

>>No, better is to make use of (improving as needed) PmWiki's page
>>cross-reference link capabilities.  Rather than have someone add an
>>email address to each individual page of interest, they should attach
>>their email address to a trail page of some sort that lists the pages
>>(and perhaps groups) they're interested in.
>

> I was just about to suggest something like this... why not let users
> create their own customized pages for watching/tracking changes to other
> pages?
>
> Perhaps something like this could be used:
> 	(:watch-pages after=2005-04-30:)
> 	* [[Some page that I'm watching]]
> 	* [[Another page that I'm watching]]
> 	(:watch-pages-end:)

Because then, if they find a page they want to watch, they'd have to
remember where their watchlist page is, go to it, open it for editing,
now again remember what the name of the page they want to watch is, find
the place where to insert the page name, and not forget to save.

That's simply too complicated for something that should be a click on a
checkbox. (Clicking on a "watch this page" link is worse, though only by
a little margin.)

> where only pages that have been modified after 2005-04-30 are shown in the
> list. Something like this
>
> 	(:watch-group PmWiki after=2005-03-30:)

Again, that's too complicated for the visitor. Whenever he retrieves his
watchlist, he'll have to edit the watchlist page to look at newer pages.

Sometimes, a visitor would review only some of the pages (e.g. when
there's not enough time and he just checks the most important pages).

I think what's really needed is a watchlist and a readlist for each visitor.
Pages on the watchlist are added and removed manually; they contain
those pages that are important to the visitor.
If a page on the watchlist is changed, it gets added to the visitor's
readlist. They get removed manually, or automatically as soon as the
visitor retrieves that page (manually adding a page to the readlist
might be useful as well).

The list of action links would then contain the following links:
   Add to my watchlist
   Add to my readlist
(with "Add to" replaced with "Remove from" depending on whether the page
is currently on the corresponding list).

> PS. Something I like with the idea above is that I could do something like
> this:
>
> 	(:watch-pages after=2005-04-30:)
> 	* PITS:0001 -- waiting for response on fix
> 	(:watch-pages-end:)
>
> i.e. make notes to myself about what to do with a page.

That's an excellent idea IMO.

Regards,
Jo