[pmwiki-users] Gallery (was: Costom markup for gallery page)

Martin Fick fick at fgm.com
Thu Mar 31 16:37:05 CST 2005

This sounds similar to what I have been playing with. I'm
not sure if this is harder or easier than what I am trying
to do, but I will try to describe what I have been palying
with and let you comment.

1) I have uploaded all my photos into a group called Photos.

2) Each Photo get a corresponding page (like you said: without
   the extension)

      a) This page has an attached small version of the image
	linking to the full size image.

      b) This page has a title, description and categories
	for the photo.

3) I am attempting to use the category pages as wiki trails to
   have automatic slideshows for every category.

   This currently seems to be very labor intensive and I am
   investigating markup ideas to help out.  Obviously this
   ties into the discussion about dynamic wiki trails.

   a) An automatic markup to make a cateogory page describe
      a wiki trail is needed.  A simple hack such as
      (:pagelist fmt=trail:) might make this easy.  No
      editing of the cateogry page would be needed.

   b) Since photo pages would likely be in many categories
      and thus many trails, it would be very hard to put
      all the trails page references on every photo page.
      I hacked a simple (:cattrail <category>:) markup that
      translates to 'make this page in <cateogry> and insert
      trail markup here.

      i.e.  <<| [[!Category]] |>>

   c) This still leaves the problem of having many trails
      on a page.  How does a user know which trail to
      navigate since it will not necessarily be in the
      same  spot on each page (different cateogry
      combinations on  each page).

      A an even simpler markup might be <<| {$Trail} |>>
      which would put a trail marker wherever I want on a
      page, but the contents of the trail would be related
      to whatever trail the user is currently on.  This
      solution would make solution b) uneeded.

   d) Cateogries are slow :(, mine time out the web server
      (old pentium).  Still hoping for an improvemnet here.
      :)

4) Improve (:pagelist:) to have more formatting options
   for the cateogry page:

    a)  A custom thumbnail improvement:

        (:pagelist fmt=thumbnail:)  would ouput a thumbnail
        of any images on the pages.

    b)  A more generic solution with current planned ideas:

        (:pagelist include=#Begin#End)  each page could then
        have a section with a thumbnail on it like this:

	[[#Thumbnail]]
	thumbnail.gif
	[[#ThumbnailEnd]]

	Thus on the cateogry page (:pagelist include=#Thumbnail#ThumbnailEnd:)

    C) Allow attributes such as (:pagelist fmt=title,description,author:)
       to list the page title ... along with the pages.

Sorry, that was a little all over the place, but I hope it can be helpfull,

  -Martin