[pmwiki-users] Block Editing of PMWiki group?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 27 18:04:21 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 01:21:16PM -1000, Sivakatirswami wrote:
> Is there a way, in the /local/config.php  to block editing of the
> PMwiki group of files? I like to leave these available for reference
> but then if someone edits them, their edits get overwritten on
> upgrade...

No, if someone edits the PmWiki group of pages, these edits are *not*
overwritten upon upgrade.  Instead, the edited versions of the files
are stored in wiki.d/, these "hide" any equivalent pages that are
in wikilib.d/.  Thus, upgrading (with files in wikilib.d/) doesn't
overwrite the wiki.d/ versions of the files that are there.

That said, if you want to prevent people from editing the pages in
the PmWiki group, simply set an edit password on PmWiki.GroupAttributes --
same as for any other group.

> "Note that the option to simply over-write the existing installation
> will not destroy your wiki.d files since no such directory is created,
> but aside from the /local/config.php file you will need make sure you
> have back ups of any skins, and files in the /pub/skins or /cookbook
> that you have added to customize your site, these directories *will
> not* be saved...  If you choose the simply over write the existing
> installation all those files would be lost.

As Neil indicated in his post -- the only files that will be overwritten
by an upgrade are pmwiki.php, and files in the scripts/, wikilib.d/,
pub/guiedit/, and pub/skins/pmwiki/ directories.  The local/ and cookbook/
directories are *explicitly* safe from being overwritten by any PmWiki
upgrade (and in general you shouldn't be editing any of the files in
scripts/ or wikilib.d/ anyway).

>  A list of all possible locations of customization files would be good
> so that a newbie doesn't blow it with the "simply copy over" option.

Customizations can safely go in local/, cookbook/, and pub/ (except
for pub/skins/pmwiki/).