[pmwiki-users] Deleting or refreshing wiki pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 23 16:28:31 CST 2005

Others have already satisfactorily answered these questions on the
list, but just to make sure nothing was missed I'll repeat my
answers here.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 12:57:15PM -0500, zgrauer at earthlink.net wrote:
> Here are several related questions:
>
> 1. Is there a way to delete files in a wiki?

You can simply change a page's contents to "delete".  Or, if you're
an admin, you can just remove the corresponding file from wiki.d/ .

> 2. Alternatively, if I delete the reference link - or all
> reference links - to the file, does it automatically get
> removed from wiki.d/ ?

No.

> 3. What happens if I manually create, delete or edit a file in/from wiki.d

You probably won't want to manually create a file in wiki.d/, as they
are more than simple text files (they also contain page history and
other items).  It is okay to copy files from other wiki.d/ directories,
and to rename the files in wiki.d/ .

> 4. Is there a way to 'refresh' a file if/when I replace a template?

Do you mean replacing a skin template (i.e., a .tmpl file)?  If so,
then you don't need ot do anything to refresh the page file -- it
happens automatically.

If you mean an edit template for new pages, then the template only
affects new pages and not existing pages.

> 5. Would it make sense to rename pmwiki.php to index.php, so it
> is autodisplayed, or would that break the internal workings of pmwiki?

PmWiki doesn't care what it is called, as long as $ScriptUrl is
properly set.  However, admins who rename pmwiki.php to index.php
often forget to do it again when they upgrade to a newer release
of PmWiki.  Thus, it's often suggested to create an index.php file
containing:

    <?php include_once('pmwiki.php'); ?>