[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: Modified (:markup:)

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Mon Mar 21 04:07:23 CST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 04:31:35PM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 04:36:24PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> > > I am assuming that I could write:
> > > (:markup:) [=====
> > > line 1
> > > line 2 has [=this untouched=]
> > > line 3
> > > =====]
> > >
> > > Which is what I would *like* to be able to do because it provides such a
> > > strong visual indication of the (:markup:) limits.
> >
> > Yes, you can write this, if I can get the equals and brackets to all
> > match up correctly.
>
> And, alas, I couldn't do it -- at least not to the level of robustness
> I'd like.  Thus for beta27 we're left with the following versions of
> the markup directive...
>
>    (:markup:) [=
>    =]
>
>    (:markup:) [@
>    @]
>
>    (:markup:)
>    (:markupend:)
>
> For each case, the ... cannot contain the closing marker, whatever
> it happens to be, and if either [= or [@ are used to start the markup
> text they must be placed on the same line as (:markup:).

Sounds good to me, although I wonder why we (still) need [@...@]. In
addition, I get the feeling that [@..@] and [=...=] should produce
slightly different results since [@..@] normally outputs monospaced text.

Btw, I've found that since I'm no longing using CamelCase, my need for
[@...@] has been reduced substantially.

/C