[pmwiki-users] Re: how teaser text behaves (was: category output)

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Thu Mar 17 15:23:23 CST 2005

Sorry to get so late in this discussion. Was very interesting but I'm
caught in an urgent project.

`. is nice and terse, which is double-edged. Not very mnemonic.

Was there a reason why (:teaser PageName arg:) was dropped?

i.e.

(:teaser PageName small:)   - '…'
(:teaser PageName more:)   - '[[$FullName | (more…)]]]]'
(:teaser PageName edit:)   - '[[$FullName?action=edit | (edit)]]

>and so on. The teaser script would take care of name substitution.

The advantage of this is being clear, explicit.

>The advantage of a Fmt variable is that an administrator can
>ensure consistent behaviour wiki-wide or per-group. It would
>allow different teasers of the same page giving different results
>in different contexts.

And the advantage of a directive is that one can have either style anywhere
on any page.

>The disadvantage is that the author has no control over the effects
>of using `. markup.

Which a directive solves.

>My inclination is to go for a Fmt variable as the smallest incremental
>change and see if that is sufficient.

You're talking about augmenting MarkupExtensions, right?

Cheers,
Radu
(www.monicsoft.net)