[pmwiki-users] Re: localmap.txt does not allow relative URIs (Was: host-independent ..

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Thu Mar 17 05:32:19 CST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Radu wrote:

> > > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UpgradingFromPmWiki1
> >
> >Ahem... I wouldn't want to put the tips on that page, since it's the
> >official instructions for how to upgrade. This would be more like tips and
> >belong on a separate page. The best tips and methods could of course
> >eventually be incorporated into that page.
>
> *blink* OK, why would you not put tips about upgrading from 1 to 2 on the
> page dedicated to upgrading from 1 to 2? I must have some strange language
> block :)

Because there are many methods and tips involved in upgrading... we don't
want to scare people off by writing too much on that page... I think the
page is already a bit to "heavy" and would benefit from being available in
a short form and a more extended version.

> >What I was thinking was tips for how to go about when you want to try
> >*using* new stuff and you are afraid that it might break your system
> >(which would make lots of angry users start screaming at you...)
>
> Oh, that. Well, you could have a farm and keep one unadvertised field only
> for upgrades.

That is a good idea (and a good example of the kind of tips I was thinking
should go on such a page:-). The drawback with that tip is that it won't
work when you want/need to use a different server for the testing.

> Once you've done the changes you like in that field's config,
> you can move them to any of the other fields or to the main farm config

I'd be interested in more details - I have no experience with farms at all
(the main wiki of interest runs v1, and on the others I'm not using farms
- yet).

/Christian