[pmwiki-users] Re: category analysis RFV

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 16 14:58:04 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 08:52:25PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Radu wrote:
>
> > I've been using the Category feature lately and it does seem inefficient,
> >
> > Can't we make at least categories hard-coded? See
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00392
>
> Actually, it's probably enough if the page is parsed when it is saved, and
> the existance of category links and such are written to some register
> file...

The pages are already parsed when saved, and the set of links in the
page are saved as the target= attribute.    I'm leaving the option open
to someday create a cross-reference file of links, which could/will greatly
speed up the generation of backlinks and category references.
(This will already speed up when I implement the link= option, which
won't require a full-text search of each page.)

In addition, I'm expecting to modify the page storage format such that
page history information is always stored at the end of the file, so
that functions that don't need access to page history (this is the
majority of them) can get the relevant attributes without having to
read/process the entire history.  This will save a fair amount of memory
and time.