[pmwiki-users] host-independent URLs for configurations

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 11:13:00 CST 2005

I'm migrating and splitting a v1 wiki into a v2 farm with 2 fields.
This process is being made a little more painful by some things that I
want to do. (These include clean URLs, but that's another post.)

I want to maintain a copy of the farm on my local machine (WinXP with
the WAMP server bundle), and on the webserver (FreeBSD). The
advantages of this are:
- quicker to develop and test new configurations and skins
- doesn't eat bandwidth while testing
- backup copy of the site in case I do something stupid in the
filesystem on either end
- live site isn't flaky while I'm fiddling with the local dev copy

Problem: several configuration things want URLs, such as farmmap.txt
and config.php.  Well, on the webserver they start with
"http://arndis.godsong.org", and on my machine they start with
"http://localhost".  Changing them back and forth is a nuisance.  Is
there something I can do to tell these to use the base URL plus
whatever, and to get the base URL from the server?  What file would I
put that information in?

Also, I bet that someone's already developed some happy sync software
for mirroring like this (hopefully selective, so that I won't eat
webserver space with non-served graphics source files etc.), and that
people on this list have tried some of them.  Any recommendations?
I'm willing to install Cygwin if required.

Bronwyn