[pmwiki-users] Re: Dynamic wiki trails - passing along the name of the trail page

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Mon Mar 14 16:56:42 CST 2005

Proposal:

1. <<|TrailPage|>> works as it does now.

2. <<|?TrailPage|>> returns '' if the current page is off-trail.

3. a cookbook recipe

   (:trails ?Group1.TrailPage1 Group2.TrailPage2:)

   returns

   <<|?Group1.TrailPage1|>>(:nl:)(:nl:)<<|Group2.TrailPage2|>>

Discussion follows...

On Tuesday, 15 March 2005 11:04 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>Or perhaps yet another solution is to provide some sort of alternate
>flag or decoration on <<|...|>> to indicate that the trail should
>be displayed even if the page isn't on it.  In fact, if we just
>allow <<|...|>> to accept multiple page names, we again lose
>(:trails:) and just end up with
>
>  <<|{$Group}.TrailPage +Main.TrailPage
>PmWiki.DocumentationIndex|>>

I like this, but am not sure about the + sign or how this would be
displayed. This seems more natural:
  <<|?{$Group}.TrailPage Main.TrailPage
     ?PmWiki.DocumentationIndex|>>

Meaning: if there is a ? only show the trail if the current page
is on-trail. Also, long trails don't wrap well across lines. I
suggest putting each trail in its own <p class='wikitrail'>.

So <<|Main.TrailPage|>> behaves as it does now.

And <<|?PmWiki.DocumentationIndex|>> does the expected.

I think I like ? more than I'd like hiding off-trail pages as
the default.

>But then perhaps that second one really ought to be
>
>  <<+Main.TrailPage+>>

It seems not quite right that <<+Main.TrailPage+>> will return

    << Prev | TrailPage | Next >>

And I think <<|?PmWiki.DocumentationIndex|>> works better than
<<?PmWiki.DocumentationIndex?>>.

>and then <<|TrailPage|>> displays the trail only if the current page is
>on it.  That kinda works for me, especially since we already have
><|...|> and ^|...|^ for other ways of displaying a trail.

If we think this is the better default behaviour, consider = instead
of +. That is:

  <<|{$Group}.TrailPage =Main.TrailPage
     PmWiki.DocumentationIndex|>>

or

  <<|=Main.TrailPage|>>

So which is more natural:

a. <<|?PmWiki.DocumentationIndex|>>

b.1 <<|=Main.TrailPage|>>

b.2 <<+Main.TrailPage+>>

I think I lean towards a, but not strongly.

--
JR