[pmwiki-users] Re: [Off-list] Re: PmWikiDraw - A new future?

chr at home.se chr at home.se
Mon Mar 14 03:22:20 CST 2005

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005, Ciaran wrote:

> I've sent you an invite, you should be able to set this up for her and
> retrospectively change the email address...

Thanks :-)

> Ironically after spending the weekend playing with JGraphPad I've
> decided that I don't actually like it! the interface feels quite
> clunky and not as responsive.  After playing with it for some time,
> I've come to the conclusion that pmwikidraw differs [critically] in
> the following ways
>
>  * Lack of Zoom support
>  * Lack of proper scaling support +
>  * No gradient fills +
>  * No arrow-head choice. +
>  * No PNG support +
>  * No SVG export
>  * Confusing text support. +

I haven't used JGraphPad but a few other drawing tools and they are often
quite different in how you use them, meaning it takes a while to know how
to use them efficiently.

> However! PmWikiDraw is a damn sight easier to use and a lot more
> responsive, it also weighs in at about a 1/3 of the download size of
> JGraphPad [JGraph on its own is smaller, but JGraphPad has a chunk of
> dependancies]

Maybe you should help them improve JGraphPad instead, make it lean and
mean ;-)

> I'm now undecided again :) JGraphPad wasn't as good as it first
> looked, in fact in a lot of ways I prefer PmWikiDraw, but its
> perfectly possible that this is user-bias <g> *sigh*

Well, why not look at JGraphPad as you've looked at PmWikiDraw... what
would it take to make it as snappy/nice as PmWikiDraw? Would it be
possible to improve JGraphPad instead?  If not, you might prefer to stay
with PmWikiDraw. If you prefer working on your own, stay with
PmWikiDraw... if you want to try working with other developers, go with
JGraphPad. Above all, don't forget that you're doing this for your own
amusement (well, that's what I assume anyway:-)  So do what feels best for
you. Maybe you can read through some archive with conversations from the
JGraphPad-people and see if they seem nice/reasonable/interesting to work
with?

If you have never worked in a development group, it'll probably be quite a
new experience (good or bad...).

/Christian