[pmwiki-users] Cookbook Meal "Deals" . . .

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 13:59:08 CST 2005

Okay, after the to and fro, how about calling packages of recipies
"Meals" instead of "Menus." While I don't think the latter term would
confuse many people, the former is much less likely to confuse.

V.Krishn suggests having a Core.Cookbook. I'm not totally sure I
agree. I would think maintenance of a "Meal" is the responsiblity of:
   1.) whomever created the Meal,
   2.) uses the meal and sees a need for repair, or
   3.) individual recipie developers/users.

This pulls the heat off Pm, who probably has better use for his time
than testing non-standard modules.

There are two ways to organize a "Meal." First, bundle all cookbook
items into a distinct package with a meal-specific configuration
file--a
"Pre-Packaged Meal." The Meal group would list meals. This would be
organized something like:
    /cookbook/meal.config
    /cookbook/meal/recipes*

The obvious disadvantage of this is the likelihood of a recipe within
that meal going stale in the face of improvements to the Cookbook's
recipe. Also, five Meals may share the same recipe, increasing the
site's footprint. However, this may be surmountable by having links on
the Meal page to the actual recipe files (and to documentation).

The other organization approach is to just have a page that links to
the various recipes and discusses how to integrate. Personally, I like
the "Pre-packaged Meal," but if anybody sees merit in the second, or
other approaches, please share.

All this talk of recipes and meals has made me hungry.

--
Ben Wilson
" Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur"