[pmwiki-users] Catogory logistics(WAS: onover-bundling)

V.Krishn mistyfire at autograf.pl
Sat Mar 12 18:55:34 CST 2005

On Wednesday 09 March 2005 11:50, pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
...snip...
> The magic is in the Category.GroupFooter page.  Category.GroupFooter
> contains markup to be added to the end of every page in the
> Category group, and I've set the group footer to be:
>
>     (:pagelist Category.{$Name} fmt=simple list=normal:)
Shouldn't this be just:
      (:pagelist {$Name} fmt=simple list=normal:) ?

> This markup says to generate a simple list of "normal" pages that
> have Category.{$Name} in them.  When this page is rendered, {$Name} is
> replaced by the name of the "current" page, so for Category.Uploads
> this markup will be treated as:
>
>     (:pagelist Category.Uploads fmt=simple list=normal:)
>
> which is just a simple list of all (normal) pages on the site that
> have Category.Uploads in them, either as text or a link.  In other
> words, display all pages that reference the current page, which
> is what we wanted.  Isn't that cool?  And note that this works
> for any page in the Category group, including pages that haven't
> been created yet.  Very nice.
...snip...
This confuses me. Technically none of the wiki pages would have
"Category.Uploads" in them as TEXT.
...As for having them as LINK, this would mean that caterory searching
logic/code would be taking each wiki page then either:
1. processing the wiki text fully, in which case its a very-Heavy-load on the
server.
OR
2. just taking every wiki page and look for the word [[!{$Name}]] and then
process the word to generate link, in which case its again a little
processing load on the server.

Some insight would be great.
>A quick note of caution, I plan to be revising the pagelist.php
>function a bit so don't rely on its internals too deeply.
>Anything that has been documented somewhere in a cookbook or
>on the mailing list will continue to work; but other internals
>may change.
I guess things would be clear by then :)

V.Krishn