[pmwiki-users] on over-bundling

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Tue Mar 8 22:07:53 CST 2005

At 2005-03-08  09:51 PM -0500, Radu is rumored to have said:
>Q: how can we keep pmwiki as effective for each application as possible?
>
>A1: bundle lots of features in one distribution
>A2: continue the current patchwork of individual recipes and skins
>A3: create use-niche trails (see discussion below)
>A4: ....

I tried about 6 different wikis before settling on PmWiki as the one I
would use. That decision was based on several factors:

1) Relatively stable code base with a small footprint
2) All the features I needed and not too many more
3) Dead-simple farm configuration (well, it looks simple now, but it had me
confused for many days)
4) Superb mailing list support

I can't see any need for PmWiki to have a massive number of features in the
main distribution. I think it should be as lean as possible while providing
the majority of the services that people consider essential. Picking and
choosing those features is a delicate task, and Patrick makes it look much
easier than it really is.

I agree that the documentation could be improved (especially for newbies),
but show me any documentation where that isn't true and I'll eat a small
bit of it. The best way for the needed improvements to take place are for
people (newbies especially!!) to go to the pages causing confusion and
plunk your question/confusion right there. Send a message to the mailing
list that says "I am confused by xxx and I posted my questions about it on
this page : http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/yyyyy, can anyone help?". If the
solution gets posted on the page, or if the page gets rewritten to remove
the confusion, we all gain.

Part of the problem with the docs is that they are too "flat". I would like
to see more aggregator pages discussing particular topics (say, passwords)
and then referencing all the relevant pages. As Jonathan Scott Duff
suggested, the category feature could be used to good effect here. The only
problem that presents to me, is that I still can't get my head around how
categories work.

So my bottom line vote is keep PmWiki lean, promote cookbook entries, and
improve the docs. Meanwhile, I'll try to learn how to use categories.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668