[pmwiki-users] physical age is irrelevant

Radu radu at monicsoft.net
Sun Mar 6 21:04:36 CST 2005

was: Re: making mistakes (was: Re: [pmwiki-users] Deleting dead WikiPages
and WikiGroups)

At 08:24 PM 3/6/2005, Neil Herber wrote:
>At 2005-03-07  11:54 AM +1100, Algis Kabaila is rumored to have said:
>>Neil, you are a gentelman and a scholar!  A pleasure to know you, even if
>>only
>>in the cyberspace!

I agree, OldAl. This group is not only extremely knowledgeable and
friendly, but also much more forgiving and task-oriented than any other
people I've worked with in the past. Which I find much more important than
the current functionality of the tool itself. With such people, the
functionality will get there fast.

>>So what would you suggest to an old guy, who has been learning all his life
>>and will die ignorant, as far as PHP programming is concerned?

Once you've seen their documentation, you'll love it. I can't say I know
PHP (it's huge, with many libraries and lots of redundancy in both style
and semantics). But I know how to hack it :)
http://www.php.net/download-docs.php

I suggest the extended html help version. Very usable. You may try the book
version Neil suggested, but I dare him to find in it anything as fast as
one can find it in the (extremely well cross-linked and commented) help
file. So the book's for reading (somehow, what Neil said brought the intro
to Shrek to mind), but the help file's for using when wondering about exact
syntax and arguments of a function that sterts with str... something.

Hey, we all die ignorant, but relatively few know it

>>PS: Does Pm reside in Canada too?

Naw, I gather he's Texan :) Hat'n all. With a French name.

Neil:
>And in my opinion, a healthy curiosity about new things keeps you feeling
>younger even if it does nothing for your chronological age.

Hey, I have an uncle who's 92, been in 3 wars and still consults for the
local clinic. He's an orthoped..ician? Anyway, bone fixer. Fit as a fiddle.
If you use it, you don't lose it... or some such.

>Based on that, I would say go for it!

Hear ye.

Cheers,
Radu