[pmwiki-users] Re: Re: <div> markup suggestions...?

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Thu Mar 3 13:07:48 CST 2005

I've been completely ignoring pmwiki-users for a while but I'll jump
right in anyway.  :-)

I simultaneously agree and disagree with Bronwyn:

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:05:10PM -0500, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> I like these too.  When I apply a div, I want to know where it ends,

Agreed.  It should be crystal clear where the boundaries are.

> and these are clearly open on the relevant ends.  I think that divs
> will be used much like wikistyles, so, even if divs aren't technically
> wikistyles, they should feel and work like them as much as possible.

Disagree. Styles are completely orthogonal to divisions.  <div> tags
are about grouping things that are related in some way.   Styles are
about manipulating pieces of text.

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:32:45AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 12:03:34PM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> Also reasonable.  In many cases, however, I don't think of
> things in terms of "openers and closers", I just think of
> them as "okay, now I want to be in this mode".

That's because you use a modal editor  ;-)

> And it doesn't seem to "read" as well as
>
>     >>Pm<<
>     This is stuff written by Pm

Sure it reads well, but what does it *mean*?  If you're applying a Pm
style, there should be % somewhere.   If you're just naming the
division then this is okay I guess.

And FWIW ">>%Pm%<<" doesn't look all that bad to me.

> If anything, the vertical nature of <div> probably means that our
> separators ought to look "horizontal" somehow

I agree.

>     --% Pm
>     -%Pm%-
>     --%Pm%--
>     %%%Pm%%%
>
> I dunno. Brainstorm some more. :-)

How about ====?  People often use horizontal rules to divide their
pages into sections, this would just be an extra special hr :-)

	====
	This is the first division

	With a second paragraph.
	====
	Just some more text to be more divisive :-)

	Also with a second paragraph
	====
	The End.

If you want to style the divisions, use the normal styling stuff:

	====%Pm%
	This paragraph is rendered in the style of Pm

	So is this one!
	====
	This paragraph is rendered "normally" (whatever that means)

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at pobox.com