[pmwiki-users] Site group and SideBar

Hans design at flutesong.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 16:11:08 CDT 2005

The question was raised and is still in my mind how a switch to the
new 'Site' group as default for admin and utility pages will affect
the use and support for the SideBar. The way a skin template handles
the loading of the SideBar is important here, and I just don't know
what exactly is the best solution.

The present default pmwiki skin.tmpl uses

   <!--wiki:$Group.SideBar Main.SideBar-->

and supplies a default Main.SideBar with the distribution, for quick
and easy installation.

Patrick announced that this will change to

   <!--wiki:$Group.SideBar $SiteGroup.SideBar-->

with the $SiteGroup having a default of 'Site', and a default
Site.SideBar will be included in the distribution.
This places the default SideBar in the admin group with restricted
access by default. Having editing access restricted for the SideBar
may or may not be desirable. In any case it will mean that upgrading
will break the existing SideBar, since Main.SideBar is not supported.

So I wonder if the following

<!--wiki:$Group.SideBar $DefaultGroup.SideBar $SiteGroup.SideBar-->

is not providing a gentler upgrade route, by giving support for
Main.SideBar, since 'Main' is the default group. It will also give a
new installation the chance to have a SideBar in the default group,
open for editing with the same openness/restrictions as other pages in
that group will enjoy. If an admin wants the SideBar locked away in
the Site group she can move it there.

The one disadvantage I can see is that the default group ('Main')
cannot have a unique SideBar, unless all other groups also get unique
SideBars, i.e Main.SideBar will be loaded for all groups in preference
to Site.SideBar.

Are there other things to consider? Does this disadvantage outweigh
the advantage of a $DefaultGroup SideBar?

--
Best,
 Hans