[pmwiki-users] Re: Install/reinstall problem

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Tue Jun 28 03:13:49 CDT 2005

On Monday 27 June 2005 03:00, pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
>    4. Re: Install/reinstall problem. (Sharon Kimble)
(snip..)
> > Pm
>
> Thanks for this, this put me on the right track :)
>
> I upgraded to Fedora Core 4 last week, and installed pmwiki and it
> worked okay. Today I managed to lose my menus, so I deleted the
> installation and then restored from last nights backup. And the same
> original problem occurred again! But this time I started
> trouble-shooting and recording what I did to try to solve the problem.
> Turns out it was a problem with permissions, If I made the pmwiki
> folder 'rwxrwxrwx' and restart the server it works okay and with no
> problems ...... but this is on a stand-alone machine with no outside
> access to the server, its purely for my own internal usage and to play
> with.
>
> Thanks again folks.
> Sharon.

Similarly to Sharon, I administrate pmwiki on the PCUG site and run it at home
as a storage and management of personal computer and other information.
Usually it runs on a separate "server" PC and is accessed from my "main" P4
PC.

To save electricity, I prefer to run pmwiki on localhost on my P4 PC.  I have
just changed the HDD and reinstalled Apache web server on it.  I copied my
files from the server on my P4 PC.  When I attempt to access the pmwiki on
localhost ashttp://localhost/~me/xa/pmwiki.php

http://localhost/~al/xa/pmwiki.php

I get the following error message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: session_id()
in /home/al/public_html/xa/pmwiki.php on line 1222

I remember that this happened with the old HDD, too.  I "solved" this problem
by installing all the php (4.0?) packages I could find on the my SuSE 9.2
distro CD's.  I now run SuSE 9.3 distro with kernel 2.6x.  Rather than
installing all the php function packages I can lay my hands on, can you tell
me which php packages are required to run pmwiki?  What php packages should I
install and is it php 4 or php 5?

For Sharon's benefit, I seem to recall that the permission problems can be
mitigated if one copies files into wikilib.d directory and hopes that the
pmwiki.php will cause the Apache to copy those files across to the wiki.d
directory, with the correct owner, group and permissions, no?

Oh, I currently operate with pmwiki2.0-beta36.

As always, I would be most grateful.

PS: Whilst "session_id() " search in google returns over 1 000 000 hits, the
information there is really too general to be useful for this specific
purpose of running pmwiki.

--
Algis Kabaila  http://www.pcug.org.au/~akabaila