[pmwiki-users] Input recipe

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Fri Jun 24 15:17:21 CDT 2005

Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:

> On 6/24/05, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
>
>>As soon as the user clicks on the "Submit" button, all the input
>>controls in the form are asked for their current value. Those that don't
>>have one and disabled controls are ignored; for all others, the browser
>>generates name=value pairs and submits them to the server.
>>
>>The URL that the form data is sent to is supposed to be a script that
>>accepts all these name=value pairs and does something sensible with
>>them.
>
> I can think of two default possibilities for what to do with the data.
>  Granted it would still be nicer to have a custom script, but this
> might be better than nothing:
>
> 1. Have the results emailed to __________ with a subject of _________.

That's certainly a good standard behavior.

Two caveats here:
1) Mailing the results directly may or may not work, depending on the
user's browser. The HTML standard explicitly states that the behavior
for URL schemes beyond http: is undefined. Somebody with a wider array
of browsers should check out whether mailto: URLs are something that one
can rely on or not; just feed the attached HTML to your browser and
click on the first Send button.

> 2. Autopost the results to their own wikipage in a special group, and
> use a PITS-like system to access them.

PITS is just another script :-)

It might make sense to write recipes that turn PmWiki into a script that
  processes the kind of form data that you want. You need conventions
about field names and what can go into them, and the script will have to
verify everything. A framework for that would be a great bonus... but
that's a nontrivial task, and I fear that's going beyond what I have
good ideas for right now. (I might develop some over the next year. Then
again, I might not.)

Regards,
Jo