[pmwiki-users] Input recipe

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Thu Jun 23 15:26:04 CDT 2005

At 2005-06-23  04:07 PM -0400, Martin Fick is rumored to have said:
>Currently form/CGI authoring is
>hard and so web-apps are minimal.  Is that an situation we
>are happy with?  I wouldn't estimate the furture potential
>uses of something based on the difficulty level today,
>especially when talking about making it easier!

Your other points about making things easier may make them more accessible
are well taken.

There are already several form-based cookbook recipes that answer specific
needs - todo lists,  mail forms, comment forms, and so on. Many of these
have PHP scripts that do the heavy lifting and an admin needs to install
the script - although any author can then use the results of the script.

Opening up CGIs to authors is probably not an easy or desirable task,
because CGIs require a script, and good, secure scripts are *not* easy to
write.

If "forms" are required because you need to gather structured information,
you should have a look at:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook#FormTools

Neil

Neil Herber