[pmwiki-users] off-topic: Behaviour of non-existiant home page (was: Nested groups)

Hans design at flutesong.net
Fri Jun 3 09:07:51 CDT 2005

Neil, let me first apologize. I misunderstood you thinking that you
were also talking about links on wiki pages. Still, I stand to what I
wrote, namely to see as little as possible of PageNotFound the better.

As to PageNotFound:

Friday, June 3, 2005, 2:44:26 PM, Neil wrote:
> I have reordered the creation selection to what I think is the most likely
> sequence:
> 1) Creating a new page in the Main group
> 2) Creating a new group
> 3) Creating a new page that is bound to confuse everybody since it is also
> the name of a new group

re 2) one cannot create groups without pages.
re 3) I often use Group/Group as the index page for a new group,
instead of having a Group/HomePage. I can link to it from pages simply
typing [[Group]]. Same works now by entering in the address bar
mysite.com/pathtowiki/Group which is very convenient.
Group.Group is for me an alternative form of Group.HomePage

The only confusing part may be that pmwiki looks first for one and
then for the other (which order I forgot) (maybe even for Group.Index
??), but this slight confusion arises only when designing a new group
structure, i.e. the question: what should the Group's default homepage
be called?

> Since a new author may not be familiar with Group.Page structure, an even
> more explicit version could say:

>          Do you want to:

>          * Create Main.Test1?  (a new page Test1 in the Main group)
>          * Create Test1.HomePage?  (the home page for a new group, Test1)
>          * Create Test1.Test1?   (a new page Test1 in a new group, Test1)

as explained above Test1.Test1 may actually be called homepage or
index page of the group.

> We are not sure what you want to do with "Test1". Do you want to:

Why is this royal "we" used? Who is talking here? I am always amused
when the software assumes self-consciousness :-)

Best,
~Hans