[pmwiki-users] Numbered lists and multi-paragraph

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Thu Jul 28 20:48:19 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>>   This is confusing, particularly with images:
>>   abc
>>   Attach:image.jpg
>>

>This may change now given the previous discussion about image
>handling.  :-)

Good :)

>>   Newbie members at my site frequently hit a single cr at the end of a line,
>>   only to have it join back to the originating line. Why not just do a <br>
>>   on a single cr, and use the \\ to span styles over lines, and thus
>>   eliminate \\\? I suspect there's plenty of history I'm missing here... :)
>>

>The argument in favor of automatically joining is that it's very hard
>to see carriage returns in text, and just as in email, a sequence of
>consecutive lines *looks* like a single paragraph and so perhaps it
>should be rendered as one.  In fact, when writing email and PmWiki
>pages I tend to add carriage returns every 60 characters or so even
>though they aren't strictly necessary, just because it looks
>better on my tty interface than having the very long lines.  The
>downside to this is that it's not always obvious how to get a line
>break that isn't a paragraph, and so one has to learn the \\ markup.

I suspect *most* user do not use a tty interface, and thus are not in
the habit of hitting cr every 60 chars. It sounds like, for the sake of
a few 'techie' user  the // syntax was introduced. Well for non-tech
users, the // is non-intuitive, and more than a little inconsistent. My
wiki is new, and already I've fixed a number of places where people
didn't know to use \\.

>The argument in favor of converting carriage returns into line breaks
>is that what the user types is exactly what they get.  Unfortunately,
>this can produce really long lines in some edit forms, and it's not
>always easy to see where the carriage returns are.  Plus, if one is
>pasting a series of lines of text from another source into a PmWiki
>page, it can be really annoying and difficult to go through and remove
>all of the newlines in the middle of paragraphs.

That I can see as valid -- but that's been a problem time immeorial.

>However, one is not entirely stuck with this choice; the recipe at
>http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/LineBreaks shows how to switch
>to having carriage returns insert breaks.  It also provides (:linebreaks:)
>and (:nolinebreaks:) directives which can be used to switch from one
>mode to the other in the middle of a page.

I'll take a look. Would be nice to provide a nice consistent interface
for editors as standard though :)