[pmwiki-users] Spelling in basic release?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 28 13:33:22 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 11:03:46AM -0700, John W Morris wrote:
>    Given the stated focus of "what would the writer expect" rather than "what
>    makes an admin happy" (not verbatim quote)...
>
>    Is there a reason that the spell checking function, which everyone using
>    an edit window of most any kind on most any program has come to expect, is
>    not included in the base software release?

The spell checking recipe requires the external "aspell" program, which
isn't available for a significant number of web hosting and server
environments.  And even when it is available, it's often inaccessible
from PHP.

If (when?) there is a standard spell-checking program that can be
considered readily accessible from common PHP installations,
then spell-checking becomes a more reasonable candidate for the core
distribution.  But until then I'd rather leave it as a recipe than
be constantly bombarded by "why can't I get PmWiki's spell-check
feature to work on my system?"