[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 28 08:32:14 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 01:39:38AM -0400, Bronwyn Boltwood wrote:
> On 7/27/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Here I'm explicitly including the possibility of re-using
> > some of the existing PmWiki block markup sequences.  Some ideas...
> >
> >     %frame% Attach:image.jpg | caption
>
> So long as containing the caption isn't a problem, this one is good.
> PmWiki users already associate the pipe with "the following text
> describes the preceding item".

This last point is excellent; I think I'll probably go with the
pipe based on that.

> Possible bad thing: what if people
> expect it to generate a link with the text "caption" instead?

Well, that would of course be [[Attach:image.jpg | caption]],
but you're correct that the potential for confusion remains.
Still, I think '|' is better than some of our other choices...
and this particular situation is special in that there's a lot more
room for changing our minds later if we decide the | confuses
people.

Thanks!