[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Jul 26 17:28:14 CDT 2005

>The wikistyles documentation has long been out-of-date; in fact, there's
>even a PITS entry for it: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00006

OK, well just the stuff we talked about here would be a good cut-n-paste
improvement.

>I'm thinking that the standard syntax for images of this type will
>end up being something like
>
>   %imright framed% Attach:image.gif [[<<]] Caption
>
>which will work without having to worry about nested divs/tables.
>The main thing I'm not sure about is the "imright" name.

Yep, that looks good.  But what does [[<<]] do?  Is there a pointer to
that documentation?

>>- Personally I would love to see it possible to nest *advanced*
>>tables.... (They are advanced after all...)
>>

>The problem with nesting of any structure is that authors have to add
>lots of end-tags in order for PmWiki to be able to figure out the nesting
>sequence.

Yeah, but I thought that end tags were broadly required with advanced
tables?  You would only need to close the inner ones anyway.

>My strong opinion is that for nested tables one should
>simply enable and use the HTML table syntax directly.

Yeah, I can see that is probably the right thing to do...

Have you seen the fairly new table syntax in media-wiki?  It is kind of
a cross between pm simple and advanced syntax.  Might be worth perusing
at some point.

>This could be done.  More to the point, the width= and height=
>wikistyle attributes could fairly easily detect that they're working
>on an image attachment and adjust the url appropriately, so that
>the syntax remains exactly the same for sites that have resizing
>capabilities as for those that do not.

Can you give me a walk through of the Attach code?  I have a quick poke
around, but I couldn't quite see how it created the links on the page.
It's not that easy to follow through the upload either, but I think I
need to do some tracing throught the code to understand that better?  If
you can give me a leg up I can see if I can have a bash at what we
discussed above for the resizing

Thanks

Ed W