[pmwiki-users] Re: suggested organizing principles for PmWiki documentation

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Jul 26 15:22:05 CDT 2005

At 2005-07-26  03:04 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>The discussion about image tags is precisely about how we can
>make it into an author-friendly form.  Authors will want to be
>able to have floating images with borders with captions, and my
>ultimate goal is to make this as easy as writing
>
>     %float framed% http://.../image.gif\\
>     Image Caption
>
>...but in order to make sure we don't end up with a syntax that
>works only for this one specific application, we have to explore
>the design space a bit to make sure we understand the other options
>that authors are going to want to use.

I think I understood this from the outset. My comments about geekiness were
inspired in part by a conversation I had with a pmwiki-users mailing list
lurker. He was dismayed by the number of posts filled with CSS and PHP. He
would like to be *just* a user. However, as you have pointed out, the goal
of the discussions he was listening in to was to simplify the markup to the
point where he doesn't ever have to see the letters CSS all together.  ;-)

Maybe the audience differentiation needs to extend to the mailing list,
too. Was there not a developer's mailing list at one point? That would seem
to be the place to discuss proposed markups and recipes.

Having said that, I have been on several lists where the tipping point is
reached and users request splitting the list based on audience. But the
developers need to get feedback from regular users, and lots of regular
users want to see that development is ongoing. The seesaw usually tips back
in favor of one list. I suspect that once V2 is out of beta, this list will
settle back to more user-oriented questions.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668