[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Jul 26 15:18:54 CDT 2005

Patrick - I need a bit longer to digest all of the above - but I think
if you simply pasted most of this into the wikistyles page I (and
presumably the rest of the world) would have realised just how much more
powerful they are than I ever realised!

Just a few random thoughts quickly:

- I think you will need to lift some of the nesting restrictions with
this strategy or else we can't have images with borders inside certain
tables (because the div syntax can't currently be nested in an advanced
table?) - Personally I would love to see it possible to nest *advanced*
tables.... (They are advanced after all...)

- The style stuff looks great actually.  I never realised that you could
do so much.  The wiki styles page only hints at what is possible, and to
be honest I can't get most of the styles I want to work because I'm
fighting how the style becomes HTML, whether the HTML is then correct,
and getting the syntax right or else the style doesn't seem to do
anything at all... This email has opened my eyes though...

- Finally I can live without proper thumbnailing, but it's a nice to
have for some projects.  I think it could be done more easily by having
the attach syntax only return a direct link to the file if there is no
size specification - otherwise it is handled just like when you disable
direct downloads.  The trick would be to write the file with the name
encoding the resized dimension and then we have both the orig file plus
arbitrary number of cached resized versions of the file.  So in this way
we just check once whether the resized version is available and generate
it, after that we can just serve up the resized file from disk.  Make
any sense?

Thanks - will complete my thoughts later

Ed W