[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Tue Jul 26 10:08:42 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> Currently PmWiki uses %align=left% and %align=right% in front
> inlined images to indicate floating left and floating right images,
> with text wrapping around the image as appropriate.  Thus, one might see
>
>     %align=left% http://www.pmichaud.com/toast/ptart-1c.gif
>     Here is some text that will wrap around the right of the above image.
>
> As many have remarked, one of the issues with the existing implementation
> is that the floating image has no margin (ugly), and there's not an easy way
> to set one.  This is being fixed.
>
> But what I can really use some help with at the moment is identifying
> wikistyle names that easily indicate "float image left with margin"
> and "float image right with margin".  Ideally whatever we come up with
> ought to be fewer characters than the existing %align=left%, which
> is a bit of a pain to type.
>
> So far the best I've been able to come up with are %imgleft% and
> %imgright%, but I'm not totally satisfied with those.  Other
> possibilities might be %ileft% and %iright%, which are a bit more
> cryptic but fewer characters.
>
> Note that %left% and %right% aren't readily available, as they're
> already used for left/right justification of paragraphs and other
> items.  Otherwise I would've probably gone with %img left% and %img right%.
> (Although maybe %img-left% and %img-right% would be okay.)
>
> Anyone else have any ideas for what we could use for this...?

Personally, I'd make them verbose since css-like things are verbose
anyhow.  Then use something like a wikistyle locally to make
things "convenient"... just my two cents.

margin-left=<whatever> (or maybe that should be image-margin-left??)
margin-right=<whatever>

Not sure what kind of control we have, just an example.

I think there are too many others things that are
verbose, like align=right, etc.... so if we try to make a
obscure shorty set of names, I think we're just adding
to the inconsistency.

With that said, there's nothing saying you can't have
both (%imleft=<whatever>%).  Just like there are convenient color wikistyles
built in.