[pmwiki-users] Standalone pmwiki??

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jul 24 21:27:49 CDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 23, 2005 at 08:44:28PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> My idea for a standalone PmWiki is to write a very simple
> HTTP server in PHP; it will simply accept incoming connections,
> set the appropriate environment variables, and then call the
> pmwiki.php script or return the appropriate pub/upload file.
> This way one only needs a PHP binary to run PmWiki if a
> standard webserver isn't available.

Actually, I wasn't feeling like doing much else this weekend
so I went ahead and implemented a "standalone system" for PmWiki,
now available at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Standalone.
It's primarily targeted at Microsoft Windows hosts at the moment,
although with a minor configuration change it can run within Unix
environments.

This is definitely a first-shot at this, and I'm sure we'll come
up with many improvements as well as find a few bugs here and there.
However, it's clean enough that it ought to be relatively easy to
install PmWiki to run from a USB flash disk or a CD-ROM device
(read-only, of course).