[pmwiki-users] How do I only let authorized users edit pages?

Benjamin Wilson ameen at dausha.net
Sun Jul 24 17:18:01 CDT 2005

John M. Gabriele wrote:

> --- Benjamin Wilson <ameen at dausha.net> wrote:

[snip]

> Ok, so, there seems to be two options:
> 1. scripts/authuser.php
> 2. "Cookbook recipe": UserAuth

> I'm getting the impression that pmwiki doesn't have the notion
> of "registered users". Is that correct?

Essentially yes. PmWiki by default adopts the wiki philosophy of being
open to all, but it allows password-based restrictions. I'm guessing
you're like me in that I prefer to have a handful of trusted authors.
For that, I presently use UserAuth to manage several web sites. UserAuth
gives user/password control and allows administrators to manage users
and their roles via the browser.

> If so, it seems like I've got to set a password for a page, using
> this action=attr URL thingy:
> http://www.foo.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.HomePage&action=attr
>
> That seems a bit crazy to me, since pages will be added all
> the time by various people, so I can't follow everyone around
> doing this action=attr thing.

You don't have to. If you want one password to control all pages, then
you'll need to update your local/config.php. If you go to the PmWiki
site administration section, you may get a clearer idea of what is
possible: http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/DocumentationIndex#admin

> How about this: can I just make it so only the admin can edit
> pages? That's ok for now, since I'm the only one editing pages
> right now. In a few months though it'll turn into a pain.
>
> Also -- is my cookbook directory supposed to be empty?
> Do I manually add "recipes" as-needed?

Yes.

One of the goals of PmWiki is to allow for seamless upgrades. To
accomplish this, some directories are never written to by a PmWiki
installation--notably /local and /cookbook. Therefore, administrators
can trust that any site customation they have done will not be clobbered
by an upgrade. This is actually one of my favorite aspects of PmWiki,
because the core PmWiki software is so close to what I want, and a few
recipes take it the rest of the way.